Monday, October 6, 2008

Some days, the motorcycles Gods are just not on your side. It's been an eventful few days. I started to have some issues with the idle on my bike, so I decided to try rebuilding the carburettor. Perhaps not the best idea, but a learning experience. Amazingly, I was able to remove and disassemble the carb and the bike still ran afterwards. Unfortunately. the idle was even worse! I took my bike to the local shop and they adjusted the carb, and while they were at it they adjusted my clutch and fixed my bent footpeg. Thanks guys! Works Engineering is my local shop and I highly recommend them. Along the way, I found some great resources on carbs I'll post up soon.
So this morning, I woke up to a beautiful day. And it's a vacation day. With my bike tuned up and ready to go, I was looking forward to a day of riding. Went outside and what did I find - my right side fuel line had ruptured during the night. Not only was the hose toast, but I lost whatever fuel I had in my tank. Of course, that had to be the first time I ever left the fuel petcocks open all night - and you can bet it'll be the last. A 2 mile walk, $.99 worth of fuel hose, two gallons of gas and two hours later, the bike was fixed. Now I was ready to ride. But ten minutes later I found myself stalled and unable to get the bike started again. There seemed to be a complete loss of power. Luckily, I was on a small hill and just last week I read an article about how to push-start your motorcycle. I pushed my bike down the hill, threw it in first and hit the gas..and it started! I was able to get her home under her own power. I've got the battery on a charger now, hopefully that resolves the power issue...

No comments: